Dr Cornel Kinanila Mtaki
Cornel Kinanila Mtaki is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Economic Law. Joining the School (then Faculty of Law) in 1991, Dr Mtaki has stayed with the School for 27 years. Before joining the School, Dr Mtaki had worked with the government in various government departments since 1976. Dr Mtaki, an experienced lawyer and passionate educator in Constitutional Law, Company Law, Labour Law and Law of Contract, has a Bachelor of Law degree (LL. B-1981) and Master of Laws (LL. M-1988) from the University of Dar es Salaam. In 2000, Dr Mtaki received his PhD from the University of Ghent, Belgium.
Dr Mtaki is also an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and a Partner in a Law Firm based in Dar es Salaam. He is a member of Tanganyika Law Society and the East Africa Law Society. Further, Dr Mtaki is a member of several other associations including Tanzania Roads Association (TARA), Tanzania Forum Group for Rural Transport and Development, CPT Legal Aid Committee and Labour Relations Association of Tanzania.
Dr Mtaki has had several academic engagements outside the University of Dar es Salaam. For example, he has been an external examiner and or part time lecturer to different educational institutions such as the National Board of Materials Management, DSM (1985 – 1996), the National Board of Accountants and Auditors, (987 – 1991) and Nyegezi Social Training Institute, Mwanza, (1987 – 1991). Others are Institute of Finance Management (IFM) (1992), National Institute of Transport DSM (1995 – 2004), National Social Welfare Training Institute, DSM, (1995 – 2012), Mzumbe University (formerly IDM) (1991 – 2013) and Open University of Tanzania (1997 – 2011). Ruaha University College – Iringa ( 2009 -2014,the Law School of Tanzania 2011 – 2015 and the University of Cape Town, South Africa 2013. Dr Mtaki has also been a member of different committees and boards of various universities in Tanzania. He also served as the national Chairman of the Commission for Mediation and Arbitration of Tanzania (CMA) 2012 – 2015.
Dr Mtaki has published widely in his areas of specialisation. Some of his notable writings are listed below.
- The Common Carrier and the Law in Tanzania, in East African Law Review (Vol. 20, 1993).
- "The Doctrine of Separation of Powers and The Constitutional Developments in Tanzania" in Mtaki, C.K. & Okema, M. (Eds.) Constitutional Reforms and Democratic Governance in Tanzania. Friedrich Naumann Foundation & Faculty of Law, 1994, pp. 95-108
- Constitutional Reforms and Democratic Governance in Tanzania (Editor in Collaboration with Okema, M) Friedrich Naumann Foundation & Faculty of Law, UDSM, 1994.
- Utawala wa Kikatiba na Demokrasia Nchini Tanzania Mtaki, C.K. & Bahroon, S.A. (Editors) Faculty of Law, DSM, 1994.
- "Misingi ya Demokrasia na Utawala wa Haki" in Mturi A.A. & Mchatta, E.R. (Editors) Association for Regional Integration for Eastern and Souther Africa (ARIESA), DSM 1995, pp. 6-21.
- Dhana ya Mgawanyo wa Mamlaka Nchini Tanzania: Nadharia na Kiutendaji, in Mturi, A.A. & Mchatta, E.R. ibid. pp. 34-47.
- "Introduction of Uncoordinated Taxes" in Mbunda, L.X. and Mtaki, C.K. (Editors) Taxation Policy in Tanzania: Constraints and Perspectives, Faculty of Law, UDSM 1995.
- Taxation Policy in Tanzania: Constraints and Perspectives, Mbunda, L.X. & Mtaki, C.K. (Editors) Faculty of Law, UDSM, 1995.
- Anatomy of Electoral System of Tanzania a Guide for Candidates, Monitors, Observers and the Electorate, Mtaki, C.K. & Bahroon, S.A. DSM, 1995.
- General Principles of the Constitution; Unit 1 Course Materials for LL. B Degree Course, Open University of Tanzania, 1995.
- Liberal Principles for Tanzania, Dr L. Lwambuka & C.K. Mtaki, Published for Free Market Development Society, 1996.
- Towards Multi-Party in Tanzania: A Documentary Overview,
- The Challenges of Improving Road Safety in Tanzania by Holding the Vehicle Owner Criminally Responsible for Acts of his Driver, Eastern Africa Law Review, Journal of Law and Development, vols. 28 – 30, 2001.
- Financial Accountability of Public Corporations in a Liberalised Economy: The Case of Auditing in Tanzania, “The African Journal of Finance and Management” Vol. 11 No. 1, July 2002.
- The Quest for Rule of Law in a Free Market Economy: The Tanzania Experience in Law in Africa. 2002. Heft 2, 5. Jahrgang, Rudiger Koppe Verlag, Koln.
- Critical Overview of the Legal Framework Governing the Provision of Public Transport Services in Tanzania Seminar Proceedings of the Year 2001 Annual Roads Convention (ARC) 2001 by Tanzania Roads Association (TARA) Karimjee Hall, DSM, December 2001.
- Enforcement of Road Safety Law in Tanzania- The Case of Non –Motorised Transport, Proceedings of Tanzania Roads Association, ARA Annual Roads Convention, November 2005.
- New Labour Laws: What Every Employer and Employee Should Know, Proceedings of the Construction Industry Forum, August, 2005 organised by the National Construction Council, 2005.
- Social Security Principles and the New Labour Legislation in Tanzania in Proceedings of the 15th Members” Conference of the Parastatal Pensions Fund, Arusha October 2005.
- Analysis of Composition and Operations of Union Constitutional Organs that have Jurisdiction in Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar, May 2009.
- Judicial Making of the Law Relating to Employment in Tanzania. The Case of the Labour Court Division, December 2009.
- General Overview of the Employment and Collective Labour Law in Tanzania, 2012
- Editor; Labour Court Case Digest, Labour Court Division, High Court of Tanzania; 2011 - 2015
Dr Mtaki has been engaged in the following consultancies;
- Nyanza Cooperative Union: Legal Recourse to Unconvinced Employees, December, 1993.
- Transport Sector Administration Studies, Ministry of Works Communication & Transport (IRP) 1995.
- Urban Transport Policy and Action Plan (UTPAP), Ministry of Works and Communication (IRP) 1996.
- Human Resources Management Policies and Operational Procedures for the University of Dar es Salaam, University of Dar es Salaam,1998.
- Development of Road Safety Audit System in Tanzania (in collaboration with Design Partnership Ltd.) Ministry of Works 2001
- Tanzania Labour Law Policy and Legislation Reform, for Ministry of Labour, Sports and Youths Development, 2002.
- Zanzibar Labour Law Reform Project, 2003
- Legislative Manual for Local Government Authorities,2004.
- Development of Road Traffic Signs Manual and Review of Related Regulations 2005
- Study on Identifying Transport Potential Development Areas in Tanzania, Client, SUMATRA 2011
- East African Transport Facilitation Project: Client EAC, in collaboration with BICO UDSM 2011
- Review of Tanzania Labour Laws Inconsistent with the East Africa Community Common Market Protocol 2010, ILO, Country Office, Dar es Salaam 2013
- Country Report on the Performance of Various Mechanisms and Processes for Prevention and Resolution of Individual Labour Disputes, ILO, Geneva, 2015.