Professor Leonard Paulo Shaidi
Leonard Paulo Shaidi is an Associate Professor at the Department of Public Law. Joining the University in 1975, Prof Shaidi has stayed with the School for over 43 years. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (1974), Master of Laws (1975) and PhD (1986) degrees from University of Dar es Salaam.
Professor Shaidi is also an advocate of the High Court of Tanzania, Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths since 1988. He is a member of Tanganyika Law Society and East Africa Law Society; Bar Associations for Tanzania mainland and East African countries respectively. From 1991 to 1996 Professor Shaidi worked as a Training Adviser in the Kampala based United Nations African Institute for the Prevention of Crime and Treatment of Offenders (UNAFRI).
Professor Shaidi has had an active engagement in the School’s administration. For example, he was the head of the then Department of Criminal and Civil Law (Now Public Law) from 1985 to 1991. Between 2006-2009, he was an Associate Dean responsible for Examinations and Graduate Studies.
Professor Shaidi is a prominent criminal lawyer in the country. He has represented numerous clients in various criminal cases. He has also researched and written lengthy in this area. Professor Shaidi may be contacted at;
Below are some of Prof Shaidi’s selected publications.
- Social Problems in Eastern Africa. (Edited with C.K. Omari), Dar es Salaam University Press, 1991, 161 pages.
- “Some Aspects of White Collar Crime”, Dar es Salaam University Law Journal, Vol.6 (1977) pp. 61-70.
- “Juvenile Delinquency and its Treatment in Tanzania”, in C.K. Omari) ed. Youth and Development, National Council of Social and Welfare Services (1981) pp. 70-89.
- “Zanzibar’s Constitutional Development” (with Haroub Othman), Eastern African Law Review (Special Issue) Vols. 11-14 (1977-1981) pp. 181-224.
- “The Resettlement of Habitual Offenders in Tanzania” Vol. 15 Eastern African Law Review(1982) pp. 153-174.
- “Tanzania: The Human Resources Deployment Act, 1983: A Desperate Measure to Contain a Desperate Problem” Review of African Political Economy No.31(1984) pp. 82-87.
- “Crime, Justice and Politics in Contemporary Tanzania: State Power in an Underdeveloped Social Formation” International Journal of the Sociology of Law, Vol.17 (1989) pp. 247-271.
- “Explaining Crime”, Zimbabwe Law Review (Special Issues on Criminal Law) Vol.4 (1986) pp. 1-22.
- “Penal Policy in Tanzania” Vol.7 (1988) Yearbook of African Law (Freiburg, West Germany).
- “Legal Control of Surplus Labour in Tanzania’s Urban Centres: in C.K. Omari and L.P. Shaidi (eds) Social Problems in Eastern Africa, Dar es Salaam University Press, 1991, pp. 137-150.
- “Trade Liberalization and the Law” Taamuli, (Special Issue), Vol. 1, Nos. 1-2; (1990) pp. 46-55.
- “Migration and Settlement in Tanzania”, (with Dr. S.B. Misana) in Law, Women and Population Studies in Tanzania, (UNFPA/Faculty of Law, Dar es Salaam, (1992) pp. 1-13.
- “Religion and the Status and Rights of women in Tanzania” (with Hamid Nassoro) in Law, Women and Population Studies in Tanzania, UNFPA/Faculty of Law, Dar es Salaam, (1992) pp. 51-64.
- “The Rights of Street and Abandoned Children”, Dar es Salaam University Law Journal, Vol.8, (November 1991) pp. 20-23.
- “Traditional, Colonial and Present-day Administration of Criminal Justice” in Criminology in Africa UNICRI, Rome, 1992, pp.1-20.
- “Tanzania Penal System: Retribution or Correction of Offenders” Eastern Africa Law Review, Vols 35-40 (2009), pp.171-195.
Consultancy Assignments and Reports
- “The Problem of Juvenile Delinquency in Tanzania”, A Consultancy Paper for the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA-PHSD) Addis Ababa, August 1989.
- Project Coordinator, “Law, Women and Population Studies in Tanzania” UNFPA/Tanzania Government Project No. URT/89/ PO2, Report Published in 1992 by UNFPA and Faculty of Law, University of Dar es Salaam.
- “Women’s Access to Land” a Research Project funded by the International Development Research Centre, Canada (IDRC), and conducted with Prof. C.K. Omari, Report prepared in 1992.
- “African Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance Survey” (UNAFRI, 1999).
- UNAFRI Consultant “Small Arms Trafficking in African” Kampala 2000-2002.
- “Training in Administration of Juvenile Justice to Court Staff, Police Officers, Prisons officers and Probation officers”; Department of the Judiciary Quick Start Project, executed with Dr S.E. Mchome, October – December 2003.
- “Training in Transboundary Crimes” Rwanda Supreme Court Judges, Ruhengeri, Rwanda August 2007.
- “Baseline Survey on Civilianization and Streamlining of the Public Prosecution System in Tanzania” Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs, 2005.
- “Review of Police General Orders”, Police Department, Ministry of Home Affairs, 2006.
- “Public Safety and Security Policy”, Ministry of Public Safety and Security, 2007
- “Training Workshop on Combating Corruption”, Training for Zanzibar Law Enforcement Officials, Attorney General’s Office, 26 – 29 April 2008.
- “Training Workshop on Money Laundering”, Training for Zanzibar Law Enforcement Officials, Attorney General’s Office, 10 – 12 October 2008.
- “Training Workshop on Terrorism Financing” Training for Zanzibar Law Enforcement Officials, Attorney General’s Office, 27 – 30 December 2008.
- “Training on Prosecution Skills” Zanzibar DPP’s office, 27th February – 2nd March 2014
- “Training on Judicial Skills and Practice” Zanzibar Attorney General's Chambers, 27th March – 1st April 2014.
- “Training on Litigation and Adjudication” Zanzibar, DPP’s Office, 12 – 15 June 2014.
- “Training on Forensic Evidence” Zanzibar DPP’s Office, 14 – 16 November 2014.
- “Workshop on Drugs Trafficking and Corruption” Zanzibar DPP’s Office, 17 – 18 September 2016.
Case Notes and Reviews
- “R.V. Andrew Avarity” (Attempted Rape) Eastern Africa Law Review, Vol.9, No.2 (1976) pp. 107-117.
- “Peter Musa V.R. “(Housebreaking) Dar es Salaam University Law Journal, Vol.7 (1978) pp. 84-92.
- “The Director of Public Prosecutions v. Simon Marwa and Abdulrahman Seif” (Preventive Detention) Journal of African Law, London, Vol. 1 (1986) pp. 211 –212.
- “The Role of UNAFRI in the Ninth UN Congress on the Prevention of Crime and the Treatment of Offenders: An Overview” (1995) Journal of African Law, 183.
- Reviewing and Updating the Prosecutions Manual for the Office of the Director for Public Prosecutions, Zanzibar, Sept 2015–Jan. 2016.